I tried it, got all the scars and badges of the fun from it. It can work but you must have things in order.
- you can’t be in massive debt. well you can but you will be limiting your time exploring the new city with working two jobs to get ahead of past bad decisions.
- it is going to take 2 years to really get invested in a community, with people, familiar with your surroundings and letting go of homesick ness.
- have a job in place, yes you can move immediately but its harder to swing those job changes when you are making $10 to $15 dollars an hour.
- USE a job recruiter, to get you access to $25-$80 an hour jobs. Its important. 80% of jobs are got through recommendation, referral, and recruiters.
- Get a SKILL, low paying skills get low pay in your next city. go to your local community college now for a skill that can help you LEVEL UP in the new city.
- Be ready to hustle, keep it simple. Bed, couch and a food. spend the rest of your time meeting people and working.
I made a video about black people fleeing to Atlanta and Texas. Same with Hipsters fleeing to Portland, Denver, Austin, Nashville and Seattle.
I believe in moving for opportunity. I believe in moving for growth. You can come to a new city and no longer be town drunk, town idiot, town loser. You are away from your family so you can try new things. You gotta have money and little debt. Its a tough uphill battle. Take the time in the town you in now use 6 months to a 1 years to get a local community college certificate. Plumbing, bank teller, notary, electrician, hvac repair, and many other opportunities.
Here are the quick tips for moving to a new city
- Get your college certifications now. go on your local community college site and FIND anything that interests you.
- I moved to a new city without a job. I did it , but I have a bunch of different skills, certificates and found multiple jobs in 3 days. Use a recruiter to look for you. 80% of jobs are attained by referral, recommendation, and a recruiter.
- Credit repair. 80 percent of Americans have something wrong with their credit. Because companies now pull peoples credit because you could come to work and steal peoples identity. why you in the low paying job get your credit repaired before MOVING and BEFORE applying for new jobs. Apartment Complexes are going to pull your credit. If you credit is NICE 700+ you can move in NO money down, you can buy a house with a job offer letter and NO money down. Look here.
- Meetup groups, co ed sports teams, and other events to meet people. i went out 6 days a week the first 3 months in austin. Collect phone numbers, call people back, invite people to happy hours.
- Associations are important. if you have a local young professional group join it. People in your same skills, same professional it helps. Plus it could open up doors. People try to steal you away when you are a skilled person.